Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back from the Trek

So...at the end of the day, the Quinn, or is it mom's side, the Witbeck in me won out, and I fanagled a flight to Lukla a day behind my group. Christmas day found me waking in a guest house along the trail, with half yaks (yak and cow combo's) walking by with bells ringing. I really thought Santa Claus had found me. I caught up with the group by mid day on Christmas. 

The mountains are beautiful, the track we followed was up and down, and I mean up and down. To gain 300 hundred meters in a day, from lodge to lodge, we would probably go up and down 400 to 500 meters at a time as we traversed the ridges between villages. It was slow trekking, but not that hard, somehow. Fantastically beautiful. I have hundreds, literally hundreds of pictures that I will post, or at least post some of them, when the time permits, but for now, just want to say that we are back in Kathmandu. It has been two weeks with only two showers, one at the beginning and one at the end, running water is..well, is a fantasy in most of the places we stayed.  So after a long soak in a relatively warm tub, a good scrub, lunch with friends including several tall beers, and then a few beers to follow up, and then reading emails, I am going to go get me some dinner. It will not include rice, or garlic, or anything fried, and then...I will see about arranging some pictures so you can see the incredible beauty of this country. Haole Maka Hiki Hou to every one.  Love, Mary

No comments: